The Ultimate Guide to Spring Electrical Maintenance
Your home’s electrical system is an extremely vital component. It needs to be routinely maintained and cared for. Although a thorough electrical inspection should be done by a professional, there is some maintenance you can do to maintain a healthy electrical system. One of the best ways to protect your family and your property is to prepare and follow an electrical maintenance checklist.
Wire-Man Electric wants to keep you safe and in good operating order with a helpful spring checklist.
- Schedule an Energy Audit: This is always helpful because it helps you see how you can make improvements in your system, conserve energy and save money. You’ll learn about things like adjusting your water heater temperature or installing a programmable thermostat that can save you money.
- Prepare for Outages and Surges: As temperatures rise, there may be an increased draw on the power grid, causing possible power outages and surges. Consider “whole house surge protection” to handle these sudden changes in power. If there should be an outage, be prepared by having an emergency kit ready with a flashlight, drinking water, and possibly a hand-cranked smartphone charger.
- Appliances: All appliances like refrigerators, washers and dryers, and wall unit air conditioners, should be plugged into a GFCI outlet. This will provide added grounding and surge protection. Also, check the condition of all wires to make sure none are frayed.
- Change Batteries in Smoke Detectors & Test Your Carbon Monoxide Detector: Find the test button on the front or side of each unit. When you do, the alarm should sound. If it doesn’t, replace the batteries.
- Inspect All Cords, Outlets, and Sockets: As you unplug all extension cords, and unplug all appliances that aren’t in use, check all your outlets and sockets to make sure there is no discolouring, that would indicate faulty wiring. You may also have outdated outlets. This is a good time to replace them with GFCI outlets. For this, you should call in a professional electrician from Wireman Electric.
- Air Vents and Filters: Pollen, dust, dirt, and allergens can collect in your filters over the winter months. Either wash or replace all filters and be sure to check all indoor and outdoor vents for obstructions.
- Home Exteriors: Outdoor outlet covers are important to keep the weather away from your electrical current. Make sure they are still in operating order and that they are closed unless being used. Also, take a look around your yard for power tools still plugged in. Tree branches can also be a hazard to wires running between your home and the street. Never approach a downed, live wire, call the power company.
Wireman Electric is Your Connection to Experienced Electrical Services in the Greater Vancouver Area
- Rewiring and Electrical Additions to Interior Spaces
- Lighting Upgrades
- Server Room Installations
- Low Voltage Wiring
- Emergency Power Installations
- Exterior Lighting
- Underground Parking Lighting
- Lighting Upgrades (including LED)
- Custom Installations and Renovations
- Panel Upgrades
- Smoke and Carbon Dioxide Detectors
- Install, Repair, and Relocate Sockets, or Switches
- Fixture Placement and Repair
- Electric Car Charger Installation
- 200A/400A Power Upgrades
- Back-Up Generator Install