What Does a Carbon Monoxide Detector Do and How Does it Work?
As a top of the line electric company in Vancouver, the licensed electricians and home electrical contractors of Wireman Electric always have your best interest in mind. Some of our biggest pet peeves are issues that arise from totally preventable problems, which is why we put so much effort into electric repair and electrical improvements. One major problem we run into often when providing other electrical services is the number of homes without a carbon monoxide detector. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer, but it doesn’t have to be. Take the advice of the professional licensed electricians at Wireman Electric and install a detector if you haven’t already.
What Is a Carbon Monoxide Detector?
Carbon monoxide detectors work much in the same way as a smoke detector. They are programmed to sound an alarm when they sense a certain level of carbon monoxide in the surrounding environment. Usually, these alarms are set to detect carbon monoxide at a level much sooner than a person will feel symptoms. When an alarm sounds it is imperative for homeowners to act quickly. Being exposed to carbon monoxide quickly and in high doses is very dangerous, but experiencing prolonged exposure to lower levels of carbon monoxide can be equally unsafe. The alarm itself will not silence until it is in a carbon monoxide free environment. Once you have cleared the space, thanks to your alarm, it is essential to identify and fix the source of the gas.
Why Do I Need One?
Carbon monoxide is a colourless and odourless gas that can really only be exposed by a detector. Its presence in your home can cause carbon monoxide poisoning which, in the most severe cases, can be fatal. When inhaled, the gas will bind to your red blood cells slowly starving your body of oxygen. Early symptoms of poisoning look much like a common cold or flu; headaches, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, and fatigue are common. With prolonged exposure to higher levels of carbon monoxide, people may lose consciousness and, left untreated, could lose their life.
The gas itself occurs naturally when sources of carbon fuel such as wood, natural gas, propane, or gasoline do not burn completely. Of course, burning these items is totally safe in well-ventilated areas, but problems arise when carbon monoxide builds up in a smaller, poorly ventilated space. Because the gas itself is virtually impossible to sense on your own, carbon monoxide detectors are absolutely essential.
At Wireman Electric, nothing bothers are electrical services team more than hearing of accidents in the home that were totally preventable. Our licensed electricians work tirelessly to provide homeowners with high quality and affordable electric repair and electrical improvements, and we know that we have improved the safety of countless homes along the way. One of the easiest ways to make your home that much safer is by installing at least one carbon monoxide detector. Hopefully, you will never hear it go off but, if you do, you will be able to act accordingly and potentially save the lives of yourself and your family.